Trademark Monitoring (Policing)
So, you know, I drew this (this is arbitrary of course) but between years 5 and 10, competitors are starting to kind of put a squeeze on the use of your name. And then if you don’t monitor your mark, so you can tell them to stop using your mark, then they can just kind of eat it away just, you know, kind of like the “Pac-Man Ghost” right? Just squeeze it smaller and smaller.
If you don’t think this can happen to you, well it’s happened to some pretty famous brands in the past. It almost happened to Kleenex recently, but it has happened to – Are you ready for this? Refrigerator, Roller Skates, Escalator, Aspirin, Zipper and Kerosene. At one time, those were all Registered Trademarks. So, don’t let that happen to you, get on a Monitoring Program. You’ll want to monitor of course the internet, but other sources of use of your registered name and logo. And that way, you won’t get diluted, “squeezed out.”
Contact me to learn how to monitor your mark, and I look forward to seeing you in the next video.
BEGIN YOUR JOURNEY
The E5 Trademark Application System Starting Line
- One-on-One Consultation with an Experienced & Licensed Trademark Attorney
- Live Review of Your Digital Assets
- Federal Database Search & Review for Up to Three of Your Trademarks
- Comprehensive Branding Capture Strategy
- Complete Trademark Application Budget Based on Your Specific Goals
- You Walk Away with Clarity, or Your Money Back